Greenholm Primary School had a requirement for the construction of a single storey extension to the existing school, to provide additional dining room accommodation. This was to address the need to increase their intake by an additional 210 pupils.
Arden Construction undertook the works to include an amendment to the render finish with a brickwork finish to match the adjoining building as well as installation of a ramp to replace one of the set of stairs to the hall as well as removal of previously indicated concrete framing around windows and doors.
Due to the dining hall and surrounding area being live, it was used for assemblies, sports and dining, we had to phase the internal works.
Initially we constructed a full height temporary partition wall, the wall construction works was undertaken out of hours and in separate phases. This allowed for all alterations as required to the existing ceiling grid and electrical and mechanical services to be undertaken over a 10 week period.
We formed site boundary fence lines and secure fencing to prevent unauthorised access, we removed the fire escape doors where the external wall was, excavated and removed existing concrete paving and slabs and excavated to formation level ready for the new floor construction.
Phase 1 of the works entailed demolishing the existing external wall and cut back the existing roof structure, gutter and eaves overhang to finish flush with the external face of the existing wall.
Then the provision of new steel purlins end for restraint, protecting the existing floor and wall construction for the demolition works.
- Installation of a steel beam to the existing external wall to break out and demolish below ground level of the existing cavity wall construction
- Phase 2/3 was for the removal of the existing suspended ceiling grid and tile system, take up existing timber block floor, doorsets and cutting back plaster
- Construction new external cavity walls off new concrete foundations and new ground floor construction
- Installation of new brick and blockwork and floor slabs, lintels and roof structure
- Roof structure comprised a new treated timber wall plate, then installation of timber rafters to continue the roof pitch
- Installation of new aluminum windows and doors
- Removal of the temporary partition and complete internal finishes with the suspended ceiling, carpentry
- Walls – plastering
- Flooring – screeding and new wood oak flooring
- New internal door sets
- Associate mechanical and electrical works
- General decoration
- Fixtures and fittings
External works included the adaptation of drainage to design and construct new inspection chambers, new surface water drainage runs and gullies and new pipework.
Including the construction of a new tarmac egress DDA ramp with railings and steps.
The works were phased around the schools timetable, especially with the hall being occupied through the day, which meant careful programming of activities and control of deliveries, noise and dust was critical.
We had to ensure full access at all times, as the entrance to the school was around the corner of the works, segregation was paramount for safety immediately within the vicinity of the works.
Greenholm Primary School Dining Hall Extension
Greenholm Primary School
Arden Construction – providing construction services in Warwickshire and the Midlands since 1992