Warwick School wanted to refurbish and expand their current main reception area to present a more welcoming feel.
There was insufficient space within the reception area to accommodate the amount of traffic that was using the area, this included school visitors, first floor boarders, cross corridor traffic and accessibility for visitors to the Pyne Room which is used for weddings and functions.
To create more space the existing store and music practice room was relocated, to utilise this area we had to remove a load bearing wall to create a new recess area for the new reception.
The refurbishment included a new reception desk, tv screen, installation of a fire door, new data connections and associated electrical alterations.
Part of the refurbishment also included the surrounding entrance area and redecorations of the bell tower area over the three floors.
- Consulting the building asbestos register and asbestos refurbishment/demolition survey
- Carrying out soft strip in preparation for the removal of the wall
- Setting out the propping positions
- Installation of temporary propping to Leada Acrow design by BRG
- Erection of scaffold towers by PASMA certified operatives for safe access for working at heights
- Setting up dust extraction ventilation to the outside area
- Isolation of mechanical and electrical services
- Removal of wall in sections as per the structural engineers/architects details
- Supplying and fitting steelwork access, steelwork supported with arco props to allow for the installation of the vertical steel columns
- Formation of concrete padstones underneath the columns and allowing the concrete to cure prior to the transfer of the weight to the new steelwork and columns
- Removal of the Leada Acrow temporary propping
- Adaption of the ceiling to new height and carry out the mechanical and electrical
- Installation of acoustic partitions
- Installation of new ceiling
- Installation of feature lighting
- Carrying out the decorations and carpeting/flooring coverings
- Installation of new desk and associated joinery.
The entrance and bell tower areas were redecorated, entailing decorations of the ceiling and walls, new entrance matting, installation of new lighting and recarpeting of the staircases.
The school has a Statue of Edward the Confessor which was placed in the original masonry wall, we protected and managed the statue for its relocation to the first floor window area.
Although the area was isolated and restricted, the surrounding areas were occupied with boarders and access was controlled to allow access on the upper staircases.
The works were carried out over a six week period with some limited availability, due to events schedules, it was delivered on time for the start of term in September.
Warwick School Reception Refurbishment
Arden Construction – providing refurbishment services in Warwickshire and the Midlands since 1992