Warwickshire County Council decided to relocate the County’s Registrar’s office into the existing Grade II listed building that is Stratford upon Avon’s library.
The integration of these services involved internal reconfiguration and refurbishment throughout the ground floor and the first floor.
Phase 1 of the works involved alterations for the creation of two registrar’s offices, a ceremony room, staff disabled toilets, including creation of a new door opening to give access to the ceremony room and associated M&E works. Public access to the library was maintained via the existing main entrance.
Phase 2 included the asbestos removal; the library services relocated to another venue whilst the remaining phases were completed to the ground and first floors.
Phase 3 included general works to the ground floor library area, incorporating, replacing ceiling, electrical and mechanical works, re-fitting of the staff toilet, decoration and re-carpeting. This also included recovering the flat roof and replacement of roof lights over the computer area of the library.
- The existing multi – media area was converted into a new registrar’s office which is separated by a fully glazed partition system from the main library area
- An existing section of the library was converted into the ceremony room by inserting a new solid frame, wooden veneered door with central glazed panels and glazed side panels which created a new opening and new doorway with a bespoke door, giving access to the new ceremony room without going through the existing library
- An existing store room was refurbished and used as the interview room
- Creation of a new adult’s fiction area and new partition walls to create an office for the registration of births, marriages and death
- Refurbishment of toilets and creation of a new multi sex toilet – DDA compliant.
The final phase included new electrical installations, light fittings and decorations throughout the ground and first floors including the main entrance lobby and inner lobby. All other areas left on the ground and first floors were re-carpeted.
The successful delivery of the project was due to a collaborate team ethos across all the stakeholders, including the supply chain, it was essential to hold weekly meetings and daily communications for the programming of works and working around the daily activities of the library.
Stratford Library & Registration Services Alterations and Refurbishment
Warwickshire County Council
Arden Construction – providing refurbishment services in Warwickshire and the Midlands since 1992